Monday, June 9, 2014

We're in Maine

Hi everyone, Abby here.  We are spending the month of June at a house near the coast in Maine.  It is gorgeous here!  This trip had originally been planned for Alex because he breathed better when we were at sea level, but we decided to take the trip anyway in his honor.

Since we drove out here, we were able to make some fun stops along the way.  Here are the most exciting ones.

First stop: Chicago!
I loved Chicago.  I always love big cities, and Chicago did not disappoint.  The only thing I really wanted to do there was go to the top of the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) and stand on the glass platform.  So we did that, and it was super cool.




We also went on an architectural boat tour.  This was basically just what it sounds like: we rode through the rivers in Chicago on a boat and a tour guide told us all about the architecture and history of the city.  It was really interesting.  Mom especially loved it.

Next stop: Ann Arbor, Michigan!
Dad's brother Ryan lives there with his family so we spent a couple nights with them.  They live in a really pretty neighborhood.  We ate yummy food and jumped on their trampoline and had a great time.  This picture is of me and my little cousin Ava, at the "fairy garden" in downtown Ann Arbor.


And this picture is of my cousin Carter, who fell asleep during church and is the cutest little kid ever.


Next stop: Niagara Falls!
This was a blast!  We rode on a boat that goes really close to the falls, and we got really wet from the mist and water.  It was awesome, but I think the pictures say it all.  I dare you to find something that is happier than McKay's face in these pictures.



Next stop: MAINE!
We have already had a lot of fun here, and we've still got about three more weeks!  There is a bay right in the backyard of the house we're renting.  It is so, so cool.  We are so lucky!


THIS IS OUR FREAKING BACKYARD
I still can't believe how awesome it is.
 One of the highlights so far happened just this afternoon.  When I was little, Dad and I always read this picture book together, One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey.  We loved it and to be honest, it was one of the biggest reasons we were excited about staying here this summer.  In the book, the characters row in a boat from their house to the mainland to get groceries, and they go to a place called Buck's Harbor.  So today we went to the real Buck's Harbor!  Childhood dreams came true!  If you can't tell from the picture, the sign on the building says Buck's Harbor.


For mine and McKay's birthday on Saturday, Mom and Dad surprised us with a sailboat ride in Bar Harbor!  It was really fun!  Don't I have the cutest parents?


 
Well, that sums up our trip thus far.  Probably someone else will post later about the rest of our adventures here in Maine.  But there is one thing that we have not yet discussed: Summer reading lists.

For years I've had this tradition of making a summer reading list for myself.  Part of the tradition is me being overly ambitious and only getting around to reading like 1/3 of the books on the list.  But, that's okay.  Here are some of the titles that I've read so far this summer or plan to read.

Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 
The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall
Paradise Lost by John Milton
The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

I was going to talk about summer music playlists too, but I guess I'll save that for the next time I post.   Stay tuned for more of our summer adventures!


1 comment: